We have consulted many churches that have fallen into the feel-good trap.
- We worked with a church that had hundreds of people involved with “Upward Basketball.”
- Upward Basketball (and other “Upward” ministries) are great opportunities. They are excellent methods for sharing faith in Jesus.
- However, we have seen numerous churches that have followed Upward for the sports, but ignore the portions of Upward that share the Gospel.
We have consulted churches who use the excellent ministry called Celebrate Recovery.
- It is a Christian version of Alcoholics Anonymous.
- It has, built into it, a great approach to sharing Christ.
- However, we’ve worked with several churches that ignore the spiritual outreach!
When we talk to the leaders in these churches, they say, “They don’t want to offend anyone and run them off.”
We received an inquiry from a church leader in a congregation in Louisiana. She wanted to consider us to consult their church as their pastor was retiring. They wanted help to make a smooth transition to another pastor.
- I asked her, “What is your church all about?” She replied, “We are a very active church. We let our community groups use our building. Our facility is filled with people every day.”I asked, “Do you share Jesus? Are you witnessing? Do you have outreach to these people who use your building?”
- The answer was, “No.”
- Their church was in the “free real estate business,” providing space, not the Kingdom business.
- They didn’t choose us to consult their church.
- They probably wouldn’t have liked our recommendations!
Ironically, there are churches that are very “evangelistic.” They are strong, witnessing churches, but they don’t meet needs! They don’t develop connections with unchurched people.
- They are declining!
Then, there are all these churches that help the needy, but don’t share Jesus!
- They are declining!
Does your church get this right? Do you meet needs, develop relationships with those you help and share the eternal blessing of Christ?
- It’s not rocket science!
If you would like to know more, you can also subscribe to my podcast on Apple Podcast and Google Play. We will expand on this theme further in our series beginning on March 6, 2018.
Leave a Reply