This is how you can start a witness culture—a movement in your church. This is how I did it.
- When I was a pastor, I learned how to develop culture.
- I came to realize that this is what discipling people is all about: developing spiritual culture.
- It has many parts and pieces.
- Witnessing is just one of them.
Here’s my story:
- I taught a Bible class on Sundays, during the Sunday school hour, between the early and late worship services.
- We usually started Bible class by taking prayer requests, then prayed, and then I taught the lesson. I had done this for two years.
- On “launch the movement of witnessing Sunday” I came into the adult class as usual.
- However, I began by saying, “Before we take prayer requests, and pray, would anyone like to share what God has done in your life since we met last Sunday?”
Stop and notice:
- No announcement, anywhere, to anyone, at any time, about what I was up to.
- Why? I didn’t want to make it a “program.”
- Programs imply some are involved, others aren’t.
- Programs imply, “It’s something we have to do.”
Changing culture is not a program. It is not something we do.
- It is someone we become.
So, what do you think happened, when I asked, “Before we ask for prayer requests, anybody want to share what God has done in your life, since we met last week? Anything at all?” Guess what happened?
- Nothing! Nothing at all.
- Week #2: same thing. Same result.
- Week #3: same thing. Same result.
- Week #4: same thing. Same result.
- Week #5: same thing…and…wait…
- Mildred, a silver-haired widow in the third row, three seats to my left from the middle aisle, raised her hand!
- Note: Mildred didn’t normally say much of anything in Bible class.
- I think she caught on: “I think he’s going to continue asking that question that week.”
- During that week, she remembered that question: “What has God done in your life?”
- Something did happen. And she remembered to share it.
- It wasn’t polished, which was excellent: it was authentic!
This was a small beginning, the beginning of a massive cultural change in our church. And no one consciously noticed! However, it would change everything!
If you would like to know more, you can also subscribe to my podcast on Apple Podcast and Google Play. We will expand on this theme further in our series beginning on March 6, 2018.
Leave a Reply