Last week, I attended a funeral service at a church. Before the pastor’s message, a lady got up to share about her son, who was killed in a horrible airplane crash.
Her son was just married in this last year. He and his wife were both killed in the terrible crash. They were both in their 20’s.
I was amazed, how this mother could get up and talk about the faith of her son, who’s life was prematurely cut so short.
The mother focused on his faith. Yet, how could she stand in front of a group, only a few days later, and not break down?
She said, God gave her strength and peace.
Do you know what I did? I just witnessed to you. I just told you a God story. It wasn’t my God story. My God story was what I saw in that woman who lost her son and daughter-in-law. It was still a God story.
If you have been a Christian for more than a year, you probably have several God stories. Perhaps dozens of them.
- Do you ever share them?
- When talking to a non-Christian, do you ever consider sharing one of your God stories?
- Like anything else, sharing your God stories gets easier, the more you do it.
Something else happens as well:
- You become more conscious of your faith, the faith of others, or, even the lack of faith in others.
- You aren’t judging, only observing.
- You begin to mentally catalog your own God stories.
- You become a better listener to others.
- You get so you can discern possibilities:
- Is that person perhaps not a believer?
- What is it that this person is troubled or challenged about?
- Do I have a God story that would perhaps fit their circumstance?
- You develop the confidence to share your God stories.
A God story is a real God story if it
- has led to a strengthening of your faith,
- a conviction that God was present and working in your story, in your life,
- it increased your faith, confidence in God,
- and got you through a difficult time.
- That’s a God story!
If you would like to know more, you can also subscribe to my podcast on Apple Podcast and Google Play. We will expand on this theme further in our series beginning on March 6, 2018.
Leave a Reply