There are actually some people in every church, who are willing to “sit” on an evangelism committee, board, team, group.
- Usually, that’s all they do: “sit.”
These people have some issues in common.
- They want their church to grow.
- They really do care about people who are without a relationship with Jesus.
- They recognize that people without Jesus as their personal Savior, are people who will go to eternal hell.
- They are caught in a trap: too much focus on their own church.
- It doesn’t say that God so loved the church that He gave His only begotten Son (John 3:16).
- It says, God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son.
- Our mission is the world, not the church.
Those on the evangelism committee, board, team, see themselves
- As another part of the church’s structure, like the property committee or worship committee.
- Most of these groups spend most of their efforts talking about institutional strategies:
- Publicity for the church.
- Website development.
- The church sign.
- Mailings to those in the community.
- It’s all church centered!
- They talk about evangelism, but usually do not do it.
- They are often elected to the evangelism committee.
- They may or may not know if they personally even have the gift of evangelism, or the calling to be an evangelist.
In the next post, we will look at the gift of evangelism. If you would like to know more, you can also subscribe to my podcast on Apple Podcast and Google Play. We will expand on this theme further in our series beginning on March 6, 2018.