Remember those first responders to climb the steps of the Twin Towers and give their lives on 9/11/01?
What about those people you saw on the newscasts of the Las Vegas massacre? Those who saw someone who they never met before, wounded, and laid on top of them to protect them.
- Are you a courageous Christian?
- Do you belong to a courageous church?
What does it mean to be spiritually courageous? Here are some issues for consideration:
- Willingness to endure difficulties to be Jesus to others unlike you.
- Feed the hungry, pray for the sick.
- Tell strangers about Jesus.
- Pray in public.
- Change anything at church that hinders God’s work.
- Translate the vehicles of communication into those that reach emerging generations.
- Go on a mission trip (near or far) that takes you out of your comfort zone.
- Pray for God to heal sick people with the confidence that God can do it miraculously, immediately.
- Stand up for your faith among friends or relatives who ridicule you.
- Speak out against immorality in all forms.
- Change Bibles to a new translation you actually understand.
- Change worship styles to reach new people.
- Abandon buildings that communicate that God is old, out of date, and from somewhere in the 16th Century Europe.
- Visit people in jail, love on them, communicate God’s love to them.
- Share your story of faith in Jesus with a Muslim.
- Help a new immigrant find the way through a new, strange culture.
- Tell a security worker at the airport, “Thanks for keeping us safe.”
- Tell the people who clean the restrooms that you appreciate their service.
- Tell a cop, “Thank you for protecting us.”
- Visit a nursing home and love on everyone.
- Pray for the leaders of your country, whether you voted for them or not.
When the Israelites finally reached the Promised Land, they sent in spies to “get the lay of the land.” The spies came back and said what God had never told them: “People already live there! They live in fortified cities. They’re ‘different.’ Some are giants.” Then God spoke, “Be strong and courageous.”
- How much does your nation need Christians who are strong and courageous?
- How much does your church need Christians who are strong and courageous?
- How much do your children need parents full of faith and strong and courageous?
The Jesus who was strong and courageous enough to go to the cross is speaking to church people today: “Come, follow me!” Do you have the courage?
Leave a Reply